Scripts for Monkeying with Cinelerra XML
I’ve moved my Cinelerra projects from one directory path to another and scrambled a few things in the process. I’ve written a few bash scripts which helped me sort things out.
In the process, I’ve learned a bit about the xml format which Cinelerra uses to store references to files and edits. When you add a resource, it appears twice between opening and closing “ASSET” tags with the format <ASSET SRC=”/path/to/filename”>[asset details]</ASSET>. Then every time you include that file in a track of your project, the filename appears again in an “EDIT” tag complex in the format <FILE SRC=”/path/to/filename”>[edit details]</FILE>
First, I needed to check the paths for all the resources in the file to make sure they are still valid. I called this program test_xml_paths.sh. I corrected the incorrect paths with a text editor, but found that Cinelerra was still crashing with a memory error when I loaded the project.
Second, I decided to find and eliminate all of the unused assets in the file. I originally had a forty minute video in one file, but some time ago I split the project into four ten minute chunks. When I created the original project, I had added a couple of thousands of clips for possible inclusion, so now that I’m working on the final cut, I don’t need all that bloat.
I created a function to figure out which assets were being used in the edit list and which were not: list_unused_assets.sh.
Finally, I wrote a script which would recreate a new xml project file with all the redundant assets removed: remove_unused_assets.sh.
I can’t offer any warranty on these scripts, of course, but I hope they may help somebody else. If nothing else, there’s a great example of multi-line sed editing in the last one.
Comments are closed.